Sunday, October 2, 2011

Weekend Pleasures!!!

What a whirlwind of a weekend!  Thank goodness it is fall break and I have some time to relax and catch my breath.  It is football season around here and with that comes Friday night games and Saturday marching contest.  These are wonderful memory makers but do tend to make this body tired.

This weekend, we played Franklin County.  Great game and we pulled out a win in double overtime.  The band looked wonderful as they marched during halftime. Then on Saturday, we traveled to Nashville for the John Overton contest.  The band was great.  We are very proud of those talented young men and women and what they accomplish.  We were also lucky to have our daugher Sarah home for the weekend.   I am glad Sarah was able to see Jonathan "do his thang."  Her comment was "HE IS GROWN."  WOW....how fast it has happened.

Since we have not had time to get to the grocery store, I had to improvise breakfast.  I decided to make my Mama's Homemade Biscuits.  I remember her making biscuits every Saturday morning and how much fun it was to help her.  She could throw together a wonderful breakfast very fast.  In a few minutes she would have her dough ready and turned out onto her wooden board.  Soon the biscuits would be cut and popped into the oven.  We always had a gas oven and stove.  Mama didn't care to much for an electric stove.  "Gas is easier to cook on" she said.  We always had gravy and her homemade grape jam to go with the biscuits.  I even remember her pear preserves.  They were the best.

So this morning, while everyone was still asleep, I put together my rendition of Mama's biscuits.  I did measure my ingredients and the biscuits were quite good.  Enjoy!

2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
4 tablespoons of shortening or butter
3/4 cup  buttermilk

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.  Make a "well" in the middle and add shortening.  Crumble mixture with hands or pastry blender to cut the shortening into the flour.  Add buttermilk and mix with hand.  Form dough into a loose ball and turn onto lightly floured surface.  Kneed dough and from into disc.  Roll biscuit dough to 1/4 inch thick.  Cut biscuits and place on baking sheet.  Bake for 12-15 minutes at 400 degrees. 

No comments:

Post a Comment