Saturday, August 27, 2011

Barbecue Fried Chicken....The REAL Way!!!

It has been a few years since I have taken the time to cut up an entire chicken and fry it.   We do not eat traditional pan -  fried chicken.  With the busy schedules around here, we buy pre-battered frozen chicken breast (probably chicken parts)  and pop them in the oven.   It has not been customary to fry a whole chicken at our house.  Many of you remember that chicken did not come in nicely packaged containers with two split breast.  Chicken came one way....WHOLE!   Since it has been offered in the grocery store already butchered, we have purchased chicken pre-cut!  My children do not know how to cut up a whole chicken (I think it is time for a cooking lesson)!
As a child, fried chicken was a staple in our diet (the whole kind...including the gizzards and livers).  Momma fried chicken at least once a week.  When we got older, she started buying Banquet Fried Chicken and baked it in the oven.  Every now and then we would get the "Pièce de résistance" .....her Barbecued Fried Chicken.  It was a sweet and tangy sauce that was poured over the chicken and simmered for an hour.  It was a recipe that Momma carried to family get "togethers", dinner on the ground at Rowesville church and other special events.  I still remember the flavors today.  It is funny how you can remember certain foods from your childhood.  I certainly remember this dish.

I learned how to cut up a whole chicken by watching Julia Child.  I watched Julia's cooking program on Saturday mornings on public television.  I didn't watch it all of the time, but was able to catch enough shows along the way to learn how to cut up a chicken....thank you Julia.

As I opened up the Green Box (my Mommas recipe box), the first recipe I found was the Barbecue Chicken.  I knew I had to give it a try.  Although, I will state up front.....this is NOT a Weight Watcher recipe!  The wonderful flavor and aroma of fried chicken and barbecue filled the house today.  Enjoy!



Homemade Barbecue Chicken

One 4 pound fryer cut into pieces

Place chicken in a shallow dish and cover with buttermilk and let set overnight

Next day
Fried Chicken Batter

Batter 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Chicken Dip
2 eggs
1 cup milk
Dip chicken in egg and then dredge in flour.  For extra crispy chicken...dip and dredge twice.


Frying the Chicken
I fry my chicken in a large black cast iron skillet.  I filled the skillet 1/3 full of vegetable oil.  Heat oil and and place battered chicken in skillet.  Do not overcrowd.  Let pieces cook 10 - 15 minutes on each side (depending on size).  Wings and drumsticks (10 min)  breast and thighs (15 min).  Drain on paper towel.


Barbecue Sauce

1 cup chopped green pepper
3/4 cup chopped green onion
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 cup of tomato ketchup
1 1/2 cup of water
2  tablespoons  Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste


Place fried chicken in a dutch oven.  Pour sauce over chicken and let simmer for one hour.

1 comment:

  1. My grandmother made the best fried chicken and taught me well, but the last time I tried to make it, apparently I'd forgotten the art of maintaining sufficient heat to cook the meat, keep the oil from saturating the coating, and get everything crisp. I think it's time to practice again.

    Since we started getting pasture-raised chickens, the only way I approach chicken these days is whole. I roast some, but I also break them down. I watched Julia too, Chris!

    ReplyDelete