Monday, August 15, 2011

Best Pork Loin - Yay for Me!!!

OK...I am not a huge fan of pork loin.  I have never felt that it was a recipe that was my friend in the kitchen.  My first pork loin was a teriyaki pork loin that I cooked for my family in my first apartment almost 30 years ago.  I even cooked the same recipe  again for my future wife just a few weeks later.  She remembers that it was good...well good enough to take the leftovers  on a picnic the next day.  I guess that love is blind (at least blind for the stomach). 

Over the years, I have tried several recipes and have garnered the same results....a dry tasteless pork loin.  Usually the marinade for the loin was two heavy or the meat didn't cook properly or....the list goes on.  Needless to say, I signed off using pork loin a few of years ago....until this weekend.

Our local grocers had pork loin on sale this weekend and of course I volunteered to give it another shot.  Now, I do most of the weekly dinners around my house.  My wife ( the same lovely wife that bragged on my pork loin almost 30 years ago) usually loves my cooking.  My son, the picky eater, will try most things but keeps very few dishes in his permanent food repertoire.  My daughter that is a junior in college always eats whatever I cook as long as she can share her daily activities over dinner.  Seriously, they generally love my food and are great fans.

After reading several recipes, I knew the key was a great marinade and proper cooking.  I created my own marinade and decided that long and slow cooking was my best opportunity for success.  IT WORKED! The pork loin was incredibly moist and the flavor was delicious.  I baked the pork loin on Sunday, took it out and let it rest.  We decided to wait to eat it until Monday dinner.  I was worried about the re-heat but I was not disappointed.  It was still super moist and very flavorful.  This recipe will become a staple in my repertoire for family dinners or even guest.  Everyone liked it and I think momma Jane (who passed away three years ago and was my biggest food fan and the greatest teacher ever) would love this pork loin and might even call and ask me to bring her a little for a snack.   Of course Momma...be right there!!!

Roast Pork Loin (3 - 4 pound)

Marinade
1/4 cup of Worcestershire
1/4 cup of soy sauce
2 tablespoons of honey
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
2 tablespoons of orange juice
2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar (great mild taste)
1-2 cloves of garlic
2 tsp of freshly grated ginger
1 tsp Dale's Sauce (every kitchen needs this chicken, pork, steak marinade)

Combine all ingredients and pour over loin which has been placed in a sealable plastic bag. Place in refridgerator over night.

Remove loin and discard marinade.  Place in roaster pan and cook for 2 hours at 325 degrees.  Take the pork loin out and cover.  Let the pork loin rest for 30 minutes before slicing.    

No comments:

Post a Comment